Is it safe to post?
Well, that depends on what you mean by "safe."
Here are some guidelines:
- You cannot get a computer virus from posting.
- If you annoy a lot of people (by posting to a large number of groups = Spam, chain letters = MMF, or off topic advertising) you can receive a lot of hate mail (thousands of pieces), which could cause you and your mail provider big problems. You may get your account revoked because of the problems.
- You can get unwanted or inappropriate attention.
In general the "non-erotic" discussion groups are civil and polite.
Participating in sex discussion groups can generate the interest of some "pretty interesting" people who may wish to interact with you.
- Your e-mail address will become public.
Your e-mail address starts out like an unlisted phone number. But once you post to Usenet, it is akin to publishing it. There are people which use these e-mail addresses to create mailing lists for sending you junk e-mail. Expect to receive junk e-mail if you post.
- Whatever you post becomes public knowledge
The government, FBI, CIA, your ex-girlfriend, your children, your mother, and maybe a few pets will be able to read your message.
Many, many people post to Usenet, all the time. Many more people are content to simply read and never participate.
Usenet RKT: Posting etiquette
Usenet RKT: How do I create an article?
Usenet RKT: Is Usenet safe?
RKT Rapid-Links:[Search] [RKT Tips] Path:Usenet RKT / For Users / 0007.htm
You are reading from the Usenet RKT
Comments? DocID: USERKT/0007.htm
Copyright 1997, Forrest J. Cavalier III, Mib Software, INN customization and consulting